Here’s some quick advice that may benefit you right now:
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you. There are now three lives to think about.
- Stay Calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be carrying the baby, but you are BOTH parents, and regardless of your relationship in the future, that baby needs you, too.
- Talk about it. Not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the stress.
- Express yourself honestly. It’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration, and fear. But make sure she knows she is not alone.
- Don’t bail. The more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don’t pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away, possibly into a regretful situation. Work together as a team.
- Don’t forget. You have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input as well as sharing your thoughts.
The first thing you need to do is find out if she is really pregnant. Pregnancy Choices Indy provides confidential pregnancy testing and peer counseling free of charge. We are here to help both of you come to an informed decision. To help show your support, go with her for the pregnancy test appointment. Having your support will reassure her that you care.
Pregnancy Choices Indy can help you in a variety of ways should she be pregnant. You won’t be alone in supporting her through this pregnancy.
For helpful information on fatherhood, visit https://fathersandfamiliescenter.org/